Tuesday, August 22, 2006

SPECIAL REPORT: "Price" Internship, Day 1

Well gang, you've waited for the news of how the first day went. So, here it is.

I reported to CBS at 10:35 this morning (with an 11 AM appointment time). I was sent to the other side of the lot to the "Price is Right Bungalow" to meet with Roger and the rest of the gang. Before you ask, yes, the "Price" offices ARE in a bungalow...a little house nestled into the corner of the Television City lot.

I met with producer Roger Dobkowitz to discuss interning, my duties, and assorted other things to be done around the office. He told me that Price is one of the few shows that have their interns actually WORK, instead of cleaning out coffee pots, et al. What was on tap today? Not a whole lot, since Tuesday's the light day around the office. I did get to meet everyone in the office...Roger, Stan, Sue, Scott, Tiffany, Vanessa, Jeff, Bente, Gina, Kathy, and Karen...all 11 people on the Price office staff.

After that, I was taken into the "War Room." This boardroom is where a week's worth of shows' prizes are planned out on a corkboard that takes up almost all the available wall space. We started the process at 11:40, and kept going till about 1, when the gang was headed over to the studio for rehearsal. BUT, before rehearsal, I needed to do one seriously important thing...get my CBS ID Badge. It's basically a photo ID the size, shape, and consistency of a credit card. Even though it's small, it carries a hell of a wallop. Following the ID badge, Roger gave me a quick tour of the studio, including a stop in Bob's dressing room! I GOT TO TALK TO BOB!!

Back in studio, I was able to sit and watch the entire rehearsal of today's show, from back to front. For a while, I sat in the audience in the same seat in which I was sitting when I was called as a contestant. After that, I moved to stage level and sat at the Producer's Table to watch the rest of rehearsal.

Once rehearsal was over, they started herding the audience into the studio. I ducked back into the wings to help Stan and Scott select today's contestants (well, not so much help as handle the signed contestant cards). Once all 9 were selected, the names were given to Jeff to put on cue cards for the first four, and given to Rich to call for the day. I stood back stage next to the sound effects booth and talked with my friend Scott for practically the whole show.

Following taping, Roger sent me with the unused contestant cards back to the Bungalow to shred them. Before I headed back, I spoke with my friend Chuck, now Head Page at CBS Television City. After a quick "how-do-you-do," I headed for the Bungalow. Before I got there, I passed Rich in the parking lot. He said to me, "So, I hear you're an intern now!" I said, "Yeah, it's official. Badge and all." He said, "All the free pencils you want, right?" I said, "Yep." He said, "Congratulations!" I thanked him and headed for the office.

Back in the Bungalow and back to the War Room to finish planning the week of shows, which took an additional hour. Didn't really seem like an hour, seeing as how it really was enjoyable for me. After all that was done, I hopped a bus back to the apartment. Tomorrow, I get to watch the show from the Control Room!

For those of you that wished me good luck and offered words of encouragement, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You were all with me when I went in today, and I will keep you with me thru the whole span of the internship.

No comments: